Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why Homeschool

For the past few weeks, my mind has constantly been turning to homeschooling. When I'm not feeding the kiddos, cleaning up after the kiddos, playing with the kiddos, and putting the kiddos to sleep, I am thinking about teaching my kids. My daughter is four, my sons are two and two months. My hands are definitely full. But, deep down, I have this strong desire to try homeschooling. But why? Truthfully, I don't have a clear cut answer yet. Yes, I would like to keep my kids in an environment that I know to be safe. Yes, I would like to incorporate our faith into my kids education. Yes, I would like to have my kids home with me during the better hours of the day. But it's more than that. I love watching my kids learn new things. I love teaching them about things. I want my kids to be best friends.
The purpose of this life is learn and to grow. All we take with us from this life is the knowledge that we gain. My kids will be under my wings for only a short time and then it will be their turn to go off to college, get married and start a family. I think that their lives will be better off in the end by beginning with homeschooling. As a homeschooling family we will be able to make sure that our kids really know the material they are learning. We will be able to focus on areas of strength and weakness as they come. We will have greater opportunities for hands on learning. It will be a challenge, but I hope to find joy in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment